Monday, November 3, 2008

Beloved

Today my mom had to put down Sammy, our 9-year-old Yorkie. He became ill suddenly over the last week or so and while surgery might have helped, he was so sick he might not have made it through. I am so sad that I wasn't there to be with him and with my mom. And I haven't seen him in months because I haven't been home. That is the hard part about being so far away. I am glad though that I always make a point of saying goodbye to each of the pets whenever I leave my parents' house. I know that may seem silly to some of you, but I was raised to think of pets as part of the family. And that is how I feel, like I've lost a family member. I wish I had been able to give him one more cuddle or one more hug. It makes me hold Lola and Oliver that much tighter tonight.
Sammy was always so happy to see me when I would visit. He'd come lumbering over, all wheezy from his allergies, and soak in the cuddles. He adored Nate too, and would sit for hours on the couch as long as Nate was scratching his belly. Nate is going to be very lonely in the Langer house without Sammy at his side!
I love you Sam-bone; you will be dearly missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to read about Sammy. Pets are totally part of the family. While I read this I pulled my little Calli Emma on my lap and kissed her on the head. My thoughts are with you and your mom!

Katie said...

What a very sweet note about Sammy. I think you summed it up. It made me tear up all over again. I miss you, Sam!

Related Posts with Thumbnails