Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Ain't That Always the Way?

What better way to kick off the holiday season than with a car that won't start? That's right folks, no one else has to worry this weekend, because the obligatory car horror story has already happened to me. Save your thanks; send cash.

It happened yesterday as I was loading the beasts dogs for a trip to the groomers. They were in bad shape and with the in-laws coming, a little haircut was in order. Trips to the groomer are always an ordeal. Oliver loves to be in the car and shows his pleasure by bouncing from seat to seat and joyously licking your face (while you are driving). Lola, on the other hand, does not care so much for car rides and registers her displeasure by keening at the top of her lungs. This is worse than barking or howling; it is so high pitched that I am sure other dogs can hear her in Canada. Then she will claw her way up my arm to sit around my neck, the better to make herself heard (READ: keen directly into my ear).

Needless to say, I was already dreading the ten minute drive to PetSmart. So we have leashes, we have keys, we get in the car and the hysterics have already begun...but the car does not.

WTH?

After trying in vain several times to turn the engine over, we pile back out of the car by which time the puppies are frantic (why aren't we going?!) and I am more than a little pissed.

Put the dogs in the house, call Nate, call PetSmart, call Dad, call Nate again. Not exactly how I had envisioned my puppy free afternoon going. Boo.

Long story short, it's not the battery or something easy like that. And the shop that the neighbor recommends can't take it until Monday. So on this most busy of holiday weekends, we are a one car family. And then for who knows how long once we finally get it in the shop.

I have been car-less for less than 24 hours and already I am stir crazy. Not that I have anywhere in particular to go, but just knowing that I can't is enough to make me desperately NEED to get out of the house. Go figure.

3 comments:

Crystal Rae said...

OMG... cars suck. Ours did that few months ago. Our engine crapped out on us. Yeah 2,000 went to that. We had to use all our emergency fund, and hubby's birthday money (We were saving for a plasma, LOL) I hope you can get it fixed REAL soon!

heene said...

a holiday deal that you may be interested in considering your driving adventures the other day. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05730466000P?adCell=A2

Sara said...

John, sad to say but I actually already OWN a Garmin and I still manage to get lost. I knew where I was and how to get home, so I wasn't using it. I have such a terrible sense of direction that I turned the wrong way out of the parking lot. Sadly, this is NOT the first time this has happened to me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails