Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Miracle Street

We had a minor miracle at our house last night. I cooked a dinner that included a main dish AND a side dish....that did not come out of a can!

Doesn't sound like much, I know, but this is major progress, people. My idea of 'cooking' usually involves heating up something that came out of the freezer. I consider boiling chicken breasts to be major dinner preparation. It is a rare night when we have a vegetable that wasn't nuked in the microwave.

Last night we had spinach and cheese stuffed shells and Swiss vegetable medley. Yes, I am aware that these two things in no way go together. But stuffed shells were my planned meal and I just really, really wanted the vegetable medley.

Swiss vegetable medley is my grandmother's recipe. I grew up eating this stuff at every holiday meal. I made it myself for the first time at Thanksgiving and now I just can't get enough of it.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Shirley's Swiss Vegetable Medley

1 bag (16 oz) frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower (thawed and drained)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 can French Onions

Combine mushroom soup, sour cream, pepper and 1/2 cup of cheese in a bowl. Mix in veggies. Pour into 1 qt casserole dish and bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes.

Top with remaining cheese and French onions. Bake uncovered for additional 5 minutes.

_______________________________________________________________________________

TADA! Best.veggies.ever.

My grandma mixes in half the French onions at the beginning, but I don't care for them, so I just top Nate's 'half' with the onions at the end. He doesn't seem to notice the difference.

Also, you can use Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese if you don't like Swiss. I usually use Monterey Jack and it is heavenly. *Cue angels singing*

Seriously, I woke up thinking about eating the leftovers at lunch time. I ate lunch at 11:30 just because I couldn't wait any more. And if I didn't hate onions so much, I'd consider eating Nate's portion of the leftovers too!

3 comments:

Becca said...

You are too funny! I MUST try this. I would also love to have your recipe for the spinach stuffed shells...

Anonymous said...

and who cooked them for you through the years?!!!! a little credit please... seeing as most of the cooking skills passed straight through me to your sisters!

AndreaLeigh said...

yummu! i'm going to try that. stuffed shells sounds delicious too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails