Saturday, September 19, 2009

Couch to 5K - The Finish Line!!


Glory, glory hallelujah!!

Hear that? That's the sound of angels singing. I swear I could hear them as I crossed the finish line of my very first 5K today!

The race was part of Indy's Irish Fest downtown. My running buddy Jamie, her friend Bob and I showed up about 8:00am to sign up for the 9:00am race. Everyone knows that the only reason you run a race is for the race t-shirt, right? Guess who got the last shirt? That would be moi. Thank goodness, or I totally would have turned around and just gone home.

The weather was perfect for running - sunny but cool with a slight breeze. I wasn't at all nervous until we actually got there and then I started wondering what on earth I was doing here. Am I actually paying money for the "privilege" of rising at 6:00am and running 3 miles? What was I thinking?

Once the race got underway, I couldn't wipe the dopey smile off my face. At one point I turned to Jamie and said, "We're running a 5K, girl!" We'd been talking about it for so long, it was kind of surreal to finally actually be running it.

Running with Jamie and Bob made a huge difference in my endurance. I tend to run really fast for the first two miles and then flame out in the last mile because I can't catch my breath. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to pace myself any slower. An 8 or 8.5 minute mile for the first two and then a 12 or 13 minute mile for the third. I had never actually run the entire 3.1, always having to walk for at least 1/8 mile at the end to catch my breath.

I am proud to say that Jamie and I both ran the entire 3.1 miles and I actually felt pretty good the whole time! I finished in 31:49:4. As I crossed the finish line, I wanted to throw up and cry at the same time. I was not at all surprised about the puking (I didn't) but I was not expecting tears. I think it was a combination of relief that it was over and pride in having accomplished something I never expected to do.

All in all, it was a successful day! I'm so proud of Jamie and myself for sticking to it and completing the race. Having a friend doing this with me made a huge difference. When I didn't feel like running or had hit a mental wall, I could always count on her to push me just a little harder. Thanks, girl!!!

I wouldn't call running fun yet, but I can see how people get addicted to it. I don't exactly enjoy it while I'm doing it, but I like the feeling of accomplishment I have when I'm done. And now that I know I can do it, I'm eager to push myself harder and improve my time. Which, I guess, means there will be a next time. Who'da thunk it?

10 comments:

Leah said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Dale said...

Impressive result! Congratulations!

Mercy Triumphs said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW! Chu go girl!

Mel said...

Good job!

Crazy Shenanigans said...

That's awesome! Congrats girl!

Cole said...

I'm so impressed! You rock!

Ally said...

This makes you a total badass, ya know :)

Congrats!!!!

God Rocks said...

Everything is better (and easier) with friends...

Jamie King said...

Hey Girl! Just read your blog and again have to tell you how AWESOME you did! I can't believe we did it but it was a total blast (other than the whole wanting to throw up part - felt your pain there!) and I can't wait to do our next one! Should we start planning costumes for the Run Like Hell!?! :)

AndreaLeigh said...

that is amazing! congrats. what a huge accomplishment. it's something I've always wanted to do but I lack the discipline so i'll live vicariously through you.

how are you doing? i'm so sorry it has been so long since i've been by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails